Monday 1 October 2018

Too soon for Christmas?

£0.99/$0.99
Click Here
Out in November.
There are some people, believe it or not, who keep their Christmas decorations up all year-round.
Like many writers I have to think about Christmas in the spring when I write my two Christmas books. I then forget about it until September. I always think that the start of Strictly Come Dancing as the beginning of the run into the festive season.
I can't get enough of the sparkly wonderfulness!
My beloved husband who has vascular dementia loves it as much as I do. Even though he has no language to speak of, and is very confused, when I showed him the Radio Times with all the pictures of the couples competing he was very excited and spent an hour looking at them. As soon as he hears the music he starts laughing. I watch these programs live, including It Takes Two, and then watch them again with him the following day.
The shops are already brimming with baubles, glitter and Christmas nonsense – I believe you can't have too many Christmas cushions so bought two more – these not only have Father Christmas they also have battery operated lights!
Christmas used to be more meaningful when I was a churchgoer – but even though I'm no longer religious I do believe that there is such a thing as Christmas spirit. It's a time for forgiving, for being with family, for celebrating everything that's good and putting aside our problems for a few days.
My decorations go up on the first day of December. It's going to be fun trying to keep our young British Shorthair, Billy-Blue, away from the tree. No doubt he'll send most of the things flying and I'll end up with none of the usual ornaments and so on on the coffee table.
As far as I'm concerned Christmas can be talked about from September, gifts and cards can be purchased from now, and the whole of December can be given over to the excesses of the season.
I won't wish you all a happy Christmas this month – although I did wish the people who run the garden centre the greetings of the season last Thursday as I won't be seeing them again until the spring.
Best wishes
Fenella J Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment