Thursday 1 October 2020

The New Normal

 How much has changed in the past seven months. I can no longer visit my husband in his care home at all – for three months I could see him in the garden – that too has gone and the home is in total lockdown for a second time. If I'm lucky I might get a couple of minutes on facetime a few times a week.
No parties, no family gatherings and no visits to shops, restaurants or other places. I doubt I'll ever shop anywhere but on line again.
This year there will be no Halloween knocking on the doors little ones – I think there's a move where my seven year old grandson lives for people to put up a picture of a pumpkin in their window and then the child can walk around with a parent or adult and every time they spy a pumpkin they get a sweet from the adult accompanying them. It remains to be seen if this works. 

It looks as if Christmas will be different and not in a good way. I can see myself, the way things are going in the UK, sitting by myself watching TV instead of sharing the day with my family. I'm at the vulnerable age where mixing with schoolchildren could be considered dangerous. I'm going to continue to see my family for the moment but that could all change.

The Girls in Blue, was supposed to come out now but has been moved to December 3 to avoid the thousands of books that were delayed because of the virus. This is the first in a three book series about girls in the WAAF. For the first time in my writing career this book will come out in proper paperback format – not POD – and the paperback is out in the spring. I've also sold large print for the first of The Spitfire Girl series and I'm really pleased about that too.

The moment I got my Christmas offering pre-order – A Christmas Conundrum – and this will be released later this month.

Then the fifth and final book in my very popular Barbara's War will go on preorder at the end of this month and come out in November.

The only good thing about the coronavirus is that being trapped at home so much of the time I've managed to write nine books this year. Writing keeps me sane.

I think we have to learn to live with this – the new normal – which will mean restrictions for all of us for many months, possibly years, to come.

Staying and stay safe – we will get through this eventually and things will improve.

I apologise for the random way the covers have appeared but I've not yet mastered the new layout for blogger.

Best wishes until next month

Fenella J Miller









No comments:

Post a Comment