Saturday 1 August 2020

Writing in a pandemic.

I'm one of the lucky ones in that I've written and published more books this year than I have for a long time. I usually visit my husband, who is in care, five or six days a week but with the arrival of this virus all visits were stopped for eleven weeks.
Unfortunately, the care home is back in lockdown because of a spike in the area and I'm not visiting at all at the moment.
So far this year I've written a book for my publisher, The Girls in Blue, which is due out in December and I'm halfway through the next book for them which is due to be handed in in October. I've also written these two books to finish my bestselling Barbara's War series. A Long Way Back is already published but The Conclusion won't be out until the end of the year or possibly in the New Year.
I've also written three Regencies, A Solitary Duke, is out and The Duke's Predicament, the final book in The Reluctant Duke series, will be out later this month. I've also got a Christmas Regency ready to go in October.
I should be able to write two more Regencies before I have to start the final book in my current contract in the New Year.
If I wasn't a writer I think I would have found it difficult to cope with the isolation of lockdown. I also suffer from bouts of depression but fortunately have only had one episode in the past four months. Writing for me is a lifesaver – literally – and I hope that there are others like me who've been able to get through these past difficult months because they could lose themselves in their work.
I know several writers who've not been able to work at all and that must just have made things even more difficult for them.
I can't see things going back to normal for another year – if then. The only positive thing about this pandemic for writers is that readers are reading more of their books.
Nobody is mentioning the Brexit word but I can't see that going smoothly in January – can you?
If you're a writer keep writing, if you're a reader keep reading and everyone keep safe. The virus is still with us and we need to be vigilant if we're going to eventually come out of this.
Best wishes
Fenella J Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment